Menstrual disorders are common among women today. From absence of periods to heavy periods and severe pain to large clots, menstrual disorders have a wide pattern. Treatment for menstrual disorders is based on the age of the patient and cause of the disorder. Though there is no universal standard for the bleeding quantity or pain, anything out of ordinary that tends to affect normal life activity is considered a disorder.
Periods that are absent for about 3 months excepting the case of pregnancy, a menstrual cycle of less than 21 days, periods bleeding lasting more than 7 days, bleeding with blood clots sized larger than 1 cm and so on are considered to be in the category of menstrual disorders.
Major menstrual disorders
- Menorrhagia – this disorder is related to heavy bleeding during menstruation. The excessive bleeding leading to lose of more than 80 millilitre of blood is considered as menorrhagia.
- Amenorrhea – a disorder characterised by the absence of periods for about 3 consecutive months.
- Dysmenorrhea – also called painful periods disorder, it causes severe cramps in the lower abdominal area and lower back, during the days of menstruation
- Oligomenorrhea – characterised by infrequent or light menstruation, it refers to a disorder where periods occur in a cycle of 35 days or beyond
Treatment for menstrual disorder
Menstrual disorders among teenagers or adolescents can be cured to a great extent through a healthy diet comprising of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, regular exercise and destressing the mind through meditation or yoga. A control of caffeine and salt intake would be beneficial in control of cramps as well.
Other treatment for menstrual disorders include: -
This includes administration of anti-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like NSAIDs, hormonal therapy and birth control pills
- Surgical procedures
Surgical procedures are used to treat menstrual disorders due to reproductive system irregularities like fibroids, polyps, endometriosis and so on
- Interventional Radiology procedures
Used as an alternative method for surgical procedures, interventional radiology techniques include procedures like uterine artery embolization. Kasturi Gynaecology Multispecialty Hospital, based in Hyderabad offers specialised treatment in the field of gynaecology and obstetrics
Visit us: kasturihospitals.com
Mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org