Hormonal intrauterine devices (IUDs) are a kind of intrauterine contraception. By this form of the birth control, a tiny device was placed in the uterus (womb) to prevent the pregnancy. IUDs are made up of soft, but strong, plastic, & they were in the shape of a T. Experienced and well trained doctor can insert an IUD quickly & easily. A hormonal IUD was very effective. Less than 1 out of 100 women who have an IUD will have a chance of getting pregnant. Hormonal IUDs are more effective when compared to your tubes tied, however, ability to get pregnant will returns quickly after the IUD is removed. Hormonal IUDs last a long time.
HOW DOES A HORMONAL IUD WORK:
It will block the sperms from joining with an egg to prevent the pregnancy. It does that in many ways:
- The hormone in the IUD will keeps the ovaries from releasing eggs.
- An IUD will thicken the mucus in the cervix. This keeps sperm from reaching the uterus & travelling to an ovary to meet the egg.
- An IUD may also affect the ability of the sperm to move toward the egg.
After a hormonal IUD is inserted, it will take about 7 days for it to start working. Make sure to use backup birth control like a condom for the first 7 days.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A HORMONAL IUD:
- Its safe, convenient, & very effective.
- It makes your periods lighter. Some women will stop getting periods while they are using a hormonal IUD.
- You wont have to think about the birth control every day or every time when you are having sex.
- One IUD can be used for so long time, it is one of the least expensive methods of the birth control.
- If you decide that you want to get pregnant, you can taken out IUD. Its a quick & painless process. For most of the women, fertility will be back to normal a few weeks after the IUD was removed.